Monday, December 8, 2008

MA 間

If any of you who are reading this blog don't look at the links on the right menu here, I strongly urge you to track Andre Bertel's Karate-do.

It irks me no end to see how sports karate asks people who have spent years and who know how many thousands of times practicing Kata and absorbing the concept of Ma through understand the Kankyu- the beautiful and natural spaces and compressions, tension and relaxing, swift and slow movements, and then ruin it all by transforming into fast-forwarding robots with serious software issues in sports Karate tournaments.

It's just so wrong, I don't know where to begin. Fortunately, Andre Bertel does! I would just like to point out Andre Bertel's treatise on Ma over his blog, which is a truly awe-inspiring summary of a huge point. In a sense it covers what I was trying to say about beauty in Budo Karate from a "different angle" but definitely from the same aesthetic sensibility.

Andre- Yoroshiku! ;-)

No comments: